About Me

My photo
I love makeup but I've never really experimented with it until I started reading other beauty blogs. I love, love colors.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Tomato Facial: Day 1

I was supposed to start this last night but things got a bit hectic. Here I am! I tried using an online photo editor but it seems that I should just stick to Adobe. I'm NOT digging the quality of these photos so my apologies on that. For future posts, I promise Adobe only. No more cheatin'.

Instead of sticking to a routine, I'm just gonna jump around the recipes, picking whichever one fits my fancy. Not sure why I even tried to get a routine down in the first place anyway. So here is the recipe I chose for last night:

Mash 1 large skinned peach/nectarine (or in my case, a tomato) and 3 tsp. honey together, and add 2 tbsp. yogurt until you have a workable paste. Pat evenly over your face and neck and around your eyes. Lie back and relax for about 10 minutes. Rinse well with warm water, tone and moisturize.

Let me just say off the bat that I do not measure anything. Ever. It's a waste of time and I figured I could just work with it. Here are the ingredients:



I used tomatoes from the BBQ my friends had on Sunday. I gotta use them up before they go bad. So instead mashing one, I just threw a couple of slices into the blender.



Squeezed some honey in there. No, I did not measure this out either. Tapped my Magic Bullet and wala, here is your paste/shake.



It's super runny but so at this point I decide I should follow the recipe somewhat. I don't know how that logic works because if you don't follow it from the beginning, then what's the point.



I pour some more in. Gosh, it's still runny.



Screw following recipes. I'm just gonna start dumping this in.



Stir it up and wala!



The stupid 'paste' is still runny. It's like a melted fruit shake at this point.



Whatever. I can work with it. Here is my face 'BEFORE':



Stop your ewe-ing of my big pores. I'm trying to take care of them, I promise! Here's my picture 'DURING':



I gotta tell you, the smell is different. It's not gross, it's not phenomenal like this probably would be if I had used a real peach instead of replacing it with a tomato but it's different. Honey, vanilla yogurt, and tomatoes...yum? Hmm. Dunno. I didn't try eating my facial. Maybe I should have though. In the name of research and all that jazz.



This is my face 10-15 minutes 'AFTER.' So thoughts:

- I thought it tingled a bit, even stung, when I initially put it on. Usually I welcome and I didn't mind it so much here either. To me, it means that the tomato acid is going to work. Some would argue this.

- Smell is different. The yogurt got a bit more pungent when it started to dry on my face.

- I like how my skin feels refreshed.

Some information on the ingredients used:

Tomatoes: You all already know what tomatoes do for your skin. It's a great source of Vitamin C and Vitamin A, it's got antioxidant properties to help fight free radicals. It's also got astringent properties so it works as a toner/acne fighter. It's cheap too. I bought a bunch of tomatoes for less than $3 and that's expensive. Living in the city is not cheap.

Honey: Honey is one of the best products there is. It's rich in antioxidants like tomatoes, nourishes, cure acne, soften your skin and the best part is sealing in moisture. A lot of issues with acne people have come from dry skin. You might not know you have dry skin but a lot of the times, that's why you have oily skin. If your body feels as though your skin doesn't have enough moisture, it'll start creating its own. So lotion up people! It's the best thing you can do to help your skin.

Yogurt: It's got a rich zinc content which will help fight acne and lactic acid which is a natural skin smoother and exfoliant. Latic acid also helps to refine and clear skin which is why a lot of new skin products these days possess some sort of milk product in them. It's also great for people with pore issues like me to use because it refines your pores. If your skin is easily irritated (I poke at my skin a lot), it also soothes and cleanses at the same time. Don't do what I did though which is purchasing the flavored version.

And that's it for Day 1 of my tomato facials experiment. I tried packing what I had left of my runny tomato facial paste/fruit shake but I had a bit of an accident:



Thank goodness it's blended and won't clog. I hate calling management to fix something in our apartment. :/

No comments: